Thursday, October 21, 2010

Inspiration closet

this morning, i looked in my Inspiration closet to find something, anything, to write about.
there's an old blue sweatshirt, which i'm sure isn't mine, and a new pink blouse, which i'm pretty sure is.
there's a snickers wrapper, from last Halloween, and ahomework assignment, misplaced last Monday.
there's a big cardboard box with a stain on the side and a pile of blankets that aren't stained yet.
there's a pair of black tap shoes, girls' size four, and a sparkly headband, one size fits all.
and then i saw it, way behind everything else. my Insiration.
it was a big, heavy, hulking thing - maybe a person? i couldn't tell - all dark and mysterious in the corner of the closet.
i reached back to grab it, to pull it out into the light, but i couldn't quite reach it, no matter how far i stretched.
so i crawled right into my Inspiration closet.
i crawled right up next to my Inspiration, wrapped my arms around it, and pulled with all my might. i threw my entire body weight against it, struggled and heaved until i was too tired even to breathe, but it was just too heavy for me to move from its spot. it seemed to have a mind of its own, and the harder i pulled, the more it resisted.
so i crawled back out from my closet floor, put my hands on my hips, and said,
"all right, Inspiration. i don't need you."
then i went downstairs
and i wrote this.
it's terrible.
but i did it by myself.

1 comment:

  1. I think maybe your inspiration sneakily followed you down the stairs and stealthily attacked your muse, because this is good. I like how you were inspired by your inspiration not inspiring you. :)

    ReplyDelete