Thursday, September 9, 2010

that ran its course quick

the mountain is towering one thousand feet high
its snow-covered peak seems to pierce the blue sky
but i've sat at the edge of the trail a long time
with a thought i picked up near the base of this climb.

whe i first picked it up it was shiny and small
and it fit in my pocket like nothing at all,
but now i am here and i'm just halfway through
and this thought weighs me down - don't you see? my thought grew.

as i've carried this thought wrapped with gold, shiny string
i've become quite attached to this small, pretty thing
see, each day i love it, it grows twice its size
and my weak arms can't handle this mid-trail surprise.

my logic says "drop it," my brain says, "don't try,"
but the thought of its going brings tears to my eyes
if i let this thought go it will leave a huge hole
but unless i move on i cannot reach my goal.

so i sit here and look at this massive idea
though it hurts, i know i must abandon it here.
if i don't put it down - get it out of my way -
i might not make it up to the summit someday.

and so thought my heart trembles i make my lips say:
"dear God, i don't want this."

i don't. not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment