Friday, July 17, 2009

I love vocabulary.

So I decided I would post a list of a few of my new favorite words, which Sara and I found while looking through the dictionary last night and are not commonly used in the English language. (At least, I'd never seen most of them before.)

yeasty (very enthusiastic or joyful)
evanescent (quickly fading)
malarkey (nonsense)
quixotic (chivalrous and unselfish to an exxagerated extent)
pulchritude (beauty)
salubrious (health-giving)
perfidious (treacherous, disloyal)
ubiquitous (being everywhere at the same time)
nefarious (extremely wicked)
pyrotechnics (a firework display OR a display of brilliant wit)

All definitions from the Oxford American Dictionary

2 comments:

  1. I love words. Ubiquitous is one of the few words starting with the letter "u" that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never thought that pulchritude sounded very beautiful.

    and i'm so glad that don quixote has his own word.

    and that pyrotechnics can mean a display of brilliant wit? amazing!

    ReplyDelete